The Crest of Carpenter, Earl of Tyrconnel
The crest as engraved upon this Straight Set of Twelve George II English Sterling Silver Hanoverian Dessert Spoons
The crest being ensigned by an earl's coronet.
by an unknown silversmith hallmarked London 1753 is that of Carpenter, Earl of Tyrconnel.
It may be blazoned as follows:
Crest: A globe in a frame all or 1
Given the date of manufacture of these dessert spoons they were undoubtedly in the possession of
George Carpenter (born 26th August 1723 died 9th March 1762),
the 3rd Baron Carpenter, of Killaghy in the County of Kilkenny 2
George was the only son of George Carpenter, the 2nd Baron Carpenter and his wife,
Elizabeth Petty, the only daughter of David Petty and Mary Crokes,
of Wanstead in the County of Essex.
He married in March 1747 – 48, Frances Clifton, the only daughter and heiress of Sir
Robert Clifton, the 5th Baronet of Clifton in the County of Nottinghamshire and his wife,
Frances Coote, the daughter of Nanfan Coote, the 2nd Earl of Bellomont.
Like his grandfather and father 3, George also served as a
Member of Parliament in the House of Commons. He sat for Taunton between 1754-1762.
He was advanced within the Peerage of Ireland as Viscount Carlingford
in the County of Louth and Earl of Tyrconnel in the Province of Ulster on the 29th May 1761.
Upon George's death in March 1762, he was succeeded in his peerages by his eldest son George
(born 1750 died 15th April 1805) as the 2nd Earl of Tyrconnel.
Upon the 2nd Earl's death, the peerages devolved upon two nephews 4
successively and eventually fell into extinction upon the death of the John Delaval Carpenter,
the 4th Earl of Tyrconnel for want of a male heir on the 25th June 1853.
These spoons were either part of the family plate of the Carpenters or were acquired by George Carpenter,
the 1st Earl of Tyrconnel at the time of his elevation to the rank of an earl or shortly thereafter,
and then engraved with his crest ensigned with an earl's coronet.
The family of Carpenter anciently stemmed from the County of Herefordshire.
1 The Carpenter family arms were as follows: 'Paly of six argent and gules on a chevron azure three cross crosslets or'
these arms along with the crest as blazoned above are said to descend from John Carpenter, the younger
(circa 1372 – 1442)
who was the Town Clerk of the City of London
during the reigns of King Henry V & King Henry VI.
2 The Barony of Carpenter, of Killaghy in the County of Kilkenny within the Peerage of Ireland
was created on the 29th May 1719 for the 3rd Baron's grandfather, Lieutenant General George Carpenter
was served as Commander-in-Chief of the British Army in Scotland between 1715-1725.
He also served as a Member of Parliament for Whitchurch in the County of Hampshire between 1715-722
and of Westminster in the County of Middlesex between 1722-1727.
Being an Irish peer, he could sit as a Member of Parliament in the House of Commons.
3 George Carpenter, the 2nd Baron Carpenter as a Member of Parliament for Morpeth between 1717-
4 George Carpenter, the 3rd Earl of Tyrconnel (born 1788 died 20th December 1812) and his brother,
John Delaval Carpenter, the 4th Earl of Tynconnel (born 16th December 1790 died 25th June 1853).
They were the sons of The Honourable Charles Carpenter (born 3rd January 1757 died 5th September
1803), the younger son of George Carpenter, the 1st Earl of Tyrconnel.
Heraldry Courtesy of John Tunesi of
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom