The crest as engraved upon this
Rare Set of Eight Charles II/William & Mary English Sterling Silver Cannon Handled Dinner Knives
by a presently unknown silversmith
dating to circa 1680-1695
(the blades are likely to have been made by George Bowden a knife cutler,
of Sheffield in the County of Yorkshire)
is that of the family of Sandwith.
It may be blazoned as follows:
Out of a mural crown or a demi-lion rampant azure holding
in the dexter paw a fleur-de-lis or
The Sandwith family had been seated at Newton Grange, Oswaldwick, near to Helmsley
in the County of Yorkshire it is said from the third decade of the 16th Century
until the 18th Century.
It is recorded that a George Sandwith was in residence at Newton Grange
during the reign of King Henry VIII.
Later members of the family settled at Barton-upon-Humber in the neighbouring County
of Lincolnshire to the south and some members further afield to
England’s region of East Anglia to make their home in the town of
Bury St Edmunds and at Ixworth both in the County of Suffolk.
There was also a member of the family, Susanna Sandwith, of Sawtrey Bouns
in the County of Huntingdonshire whose Will was dated the 13th October 1690
which was subsequently proved before the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
by Catherine Price alias Caton on the 7th December 1693.
Catherine was the executrix to Susanna’s Will.
Within the Admission Registers of one of London’s Inns of Court, that of Gray’s Inn
it is recorded that ‘Richard Sandwith, son and heir of Henry Sandwith,
of Burton-upon-Humber co. Lincoln gent’
was admitted as a member of the inn on the 23rd May 1629.
(Heraldry by John Tunesi, of Liongam, England)
Also See :