GEORGE III SILVER BRANDY SAUCEPAN (WARMER)
Daniel Smith & Robert Sharp, London, 1774
Of heavy gauge silver, usual form with a side spout and folded edge, turned wooden handle,
and engraved on the ferrule with crest for the family of Wollaston :
Out of a mural crown or a demi griffin segreant argent holding between its claws a mullet pierced sable
The family of Wollaston was anciently settled at Wollaston in the County of Staffordshire before and during the reign of Edward III. They were later resident at Shenton in the County of Leicestershire. Two branches of the Shenton Wollastons were also found at Loseby in the same county and at Dereham in the County of Norfolk. The Loseby branch of the family was originally named Lawrence. Sir Edward Lawrence and was created a Baronet of Great Britain on the 17th January 1748 with remainder to his great nephew, Isaac Wollaston. When Sir Edward died in 1749 he was succeeded in the baronetcy according to the special remainder by Isaac (died 1750) as the second baronet. He in turn was succeeded by his son, Sir Isaac Lawrence Wollaston as the third baronet. Sadly, the baronetcy of Wollaston, of Loseby fell into extinction upon the death of the third baronet, Sir Isaac Lawrence Wollaston as a child aged in 1756 some six years after the death of his father.
Henry Wollaston who served as an Alderman of the City of London obtained in July 1616 an exemplification of the family arms with a grant of the above crest. Henry’s nephew, Sir John Wollaston was Lord Mayor of the City of London during the year of 1643 during the Civil War.
Condition: Excellent; 2 minor dents to base; slight area of light pitting to silver beneath spout; very crisp marks
Note on Smith & Sharp:
"The firm supplied Parker & Wakelin, and Wakelin & Taylor, as well as Jeffreys, Jones & Gilbert after the latter's appointment as Royal Goldsmiths in 1784. One images that the plate in Carlton House may largely have come from their hands". Grimwade, p. 655
Brandy saucepans or warmers were probably used to warm butters and sauces as well we brandy. They
have changed little in form from the Queen Anne period through the mid-19th century - their latest appearance.
Those in the early 18th century tend to be smaller, while the latter 18th century are larger, often half pint in capacity.
They differ from skillets in being without legs.
2 1/4"H x 3 1/4"H, 8 ?” over the handle
7.2 total weight
PRICE : Please Inquire
We welcome and encourage all inquiries. We will make every attempt to answer any questions you might have.
For information, call (901) 761-1163 or (901) 827-4668 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
American Express, Mastercard, Visa and Discover accepted
George III Silver Brandy Saucepan Daniel Smith & Robert Sharp, London, 1774, crested with a griffin out of a ducal coronet holding a star