M. FORD CREECH ANTIQUES & FINE ARTS
GEORGE III SILVER BEAKER
Aaron Lestourgen, London, 1774
Crested for the Family of William Comber Kirkby
Of heavy gauge silver, in tapering cylindrical form,
the interior with soft and apparently original gilding;
Crested for the family of Kirkby of Northwest England :
On a chapeau gules turned up ermine a cross moline or, within a wreath or and gules
Willliam Comber Kirkby (Lancashire and Hampshire),
or his son William Kirkby (Guildford, Co. Middlesex)
Condition : Excellent with very minor wear, appropriate to age and usage;
a few minor pin point dents; rim slightly out of round, visibile in images;
there are several inevitable reflections in the images that do not represent denting
3.25" High x 3" Wide / 4.7 oz.
Price : Please Inquire
FAMILY OF KIRKBY :
Upon the balance of probability and without any evidence to contrary
this beaker belonged to the Kirkby family,
of the County of Westmorland in the north-west of England.
The family were settled in the county from early times and it is likely
that the two candidates who owned this beaker were :
William Comber Kirkby (died 1791),
of Ashlack in the County of Lancashire and of Ham in the County of Surrey
and his son,
William Kirkby (born 1757 died 7th August 1846), of Guildford (or Guilford) Street,
Russell Square within the Parish of St Pancras in the County of Middlesex.
Both were members of the Kirkbys, of Kirkby Ireleth in the County of Westmorland
who held the Lordship of the Manor from the 12th Century until the end of the 17th Century.
The elder William (of Ashlack) was the eventual male heir of the Kirkbys,
of Kirkby Ireleth, although the manor and its estate were mortgaged in
1689 by Roger Kirkby (died 1708) to a London banker,
agent to Catherine, Duchess of Buckingham, who acquired it on her agent's insolvency.
He was an attorney, one of the Antients of the Society of Staple Inn
and eventually deposed of the manor sometime before his death.
His son, William (of Guildford Street) who worked in the Exchequer Office sold Ashlack,
together with the rest of the family's landholdings in 1827.
Heraldry by John Tunesi of Liongam
MSc, FSA Scot, Hon FHS, QG
See Also :
"IN THE COMPANY OF "SMALL CUPS"
We welcome and encourage
all inquiries regarding our stock. We will make every attempt to answer any questions you might
information, call (901) 761-1163 or (901) 827-4668, or
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
American Express, Mastercard, Visa and Discover accepted
M. Ford Creech Antiques & Fine Arts / 581
South Perkins Road / Memphis,
TN 38117 / USA /
Wed.-Sat. 11-6, or by appointment