GEORGE IV ADJUSTABLE
MAHOGANY FOLIO STAND
Attributed to Gillows :
Little appears to be written 'historically'
regarding the adjustable folio stand -
apparently introduced late 18th century
to accommodate the larger manuscripts,
drawings, maps, and prints of the time.
By 1820, a press had been developed to
enable printing considerably larger sheets -
known as the Elephant Folio, and the
Double Elephant, as the Audubon engravings.
These stands are designed to operate quite
simply, having two adjustable (hinged)
rectangular trellis-work rests,
connected to ratched legs,
allowing varied positions - from upright
for storage, to open flat - thereby
accomodating viewing at any desired angle.
Click here, or the image,
for a short article