M. FORD CREECH ANTIQUES & FINE ARTS
VICTORIAN SILVER-GILT DESSERT SERVICE for TWELVE
in the Hanoverian Pattern, Crested en Suite,
George Adams, 1876, & Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater, London,1878-95
Of heavy gauge silver, consisting of twelve each (36 pieces total) :
dessert spoons with rattail attachment
three-tine dessert forks
pistol grip knives with scimitar I silver-gilt blades
Crested en suite with an eagle rising, beneath a baron's coronet
for The Right Honourable The Baron Farquhar, later Earl Farquhar
Condition : Excellent, the gilt softened with a warm glow, gently rubbed in a few places;
some tip bending to a few of the tines but no losses; the bowls and blades all in excellent condition
Lengths : Spoons 7", 20.5 oz / Forks 7", 19.7 oz / Knives 8", 19.7 oz
Total Weight (36 pieces) : 64.6 oz
Price : Please Inquire
About the Makers :
The firm of Holland, Aldwinckle and Slater was actually established in 1838 when Henry Holland Sr.
entered his first mark in London Goldsmiths' Hall. In 1866, Henry Holland & Son bought the firm of Elizabeth Eaton & Son.
Henry Holland Sr. retired from the business c1880 and a new mark was entered by John Aldwinckle and James Slater,
the firm's name having been changed to Holland, Son & Slater.
In 1883 also Henry Holland Jr. retired from the business, and the firm was renamed Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater,
with Slater's sons, Alfred Thomas Slater and Walter Brindley Slater, as additional partners.
The firm developed its business purchasing Chawner & Co (then heased by George William Adams) in 1883,
and Robert Hennel & Sons in 1887.
James Slater retired in 1884, leaving Alfred Thomas Slater and John Aldwinckle as senior partners.
John Aldwinckle died in 1894, and Henry Arthur Holland (son of Henry Holland Jr.) became partner in the firm.
This mark TS over WS over HH was entered in 1895.
George Adams (Chawner & Co.) : Chawner & Co. was founded in 1815 by William Chawner II
who was apprenticed to William Fearn in 1797, his first mark in partnership with William Eley and William Fearn.
The partnership was dissolved c1814 and William Chawner II entered his first mark alone in 1815.
After his death (1834) the business was continued by his widow Mary (née Burwash).
In 1840, Mary Chawner took into partnership her son-in-law George William Adams
(husband of her daughter Mary Ann), who,
after her retirement
managed the business as Chawner & Co and remained sole partner until 1883.
In this year Chawner & Co was sold to Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater (1883-1922),
when the firm was absorbed by Francis Higgins & Son Ltd).
The Crest of The Right Honourable The Baron Farquhar
The crest as engraved upon this Victorian Silver-Gilt Hanoverian Pattern Dessert Service for Twelve
by Slater, Slater & Holland and George Adams hallmarked London 1887 – 1895,
is that of Baron Farquhar. It may be blazoned as follows:
Crest: An eagle rising proper*
(*Although blazoned as 'rising', the position of the wings should be qualified as 'wings elevated and displayed'.
As you will see from Lord Farquhar's entry in Debrett's Peerage of 1910 below,
the eagle is blazoned as 'rising' but the attitude of the wings are shown as on the dessert service as qualified above.)
Horace Brand Townsend-Farquhar (later Farquhar) (born 18th May 1844 died 30th August 1923)
was the fifth son of Sir Walter Minto Townsend-Farquhar, the 2nd Baronet of the Mauritius
within the Baronetage of the United Kingdom (created on the 21st August 1821)
and Erica Catherine Mackay (the testamentary heiress of Eric Mackay, the 7th Lord Reay).
Horace was a leading Conservative politician serving as Member of Parliament of Marylebone West
from 1895 to 1898 and sometime Treasurer of the Conservative Party.
He was created a Baronet of the United Kingdom
(styled 'of Cavendish Square in the Parish of St Marylebone in the County of London') on the 25th October 1892
and he was later created a peer as Baron Farquhar, of St Marylebone in the County of London on the 20th January 1898
and further created Viscount Farquhar on the 21st June 1917
and finally as Earl Farquhar on the 30th November 1922 all within the Peerage of the United Kingdom.
During his time in the House of Lords, he served as Master of the (Royal) Household from 1901 to 1907
and as Lord Steward of the (Royal) Household in 1915.
He was also an Extra Lord in Waiting to King Edward VII until the King's death in 1910.
He continued as an Extra Lord in Waiting to King George V until he was appointed as Lord Steward of the Household in 1915.
All these posts are (as they are today) political appointments within the Royal Household.
He was also appointed a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO)
and later promoted within the order as a Knight Grand Cross (GCVO).
All appointments to Royal Victorian Order are in the gift of the Sovereign and are not political in any whatsoever.
Horace was also appointed a Privy Councillor on the 2nd November 1907 and close to the end of his life,
his was appointed a Knight Grand Cross (Civil Division) of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (GCB) in 1922.
He also served as a Deputy Lieutenant and Justice of the Peace of the County of Middlesex.
Horace married Emilie Packe, the daughter of Henry Packe, of Harleston in the County of Northamptonshire and Twyford Hall,
East Dereham in the County of Norfolk on the 5th January 1895.
Prior to her marriage to Horace,
Emilie was the widow of Sir Edward Scott, the 5th Baronet of Lytchett Minster in the County of Dorset.
Upon Horace's death in 1923, the Baronetcy of Cavendish Square,
together all his peerages fell into extinction for want of a male heir.
Heraldry by John Tunesi of Liongam
MSc, FSA Scot, Hon FHS, QG
Marks on Knives: George Adams
Marks on Knives: Holland Aldwinckle & Slater
We welcome and encourage
all inquiries regarding our stock. We will make every attempt to answer any questions you might
information, call (901) 761-1163 or (901) 827-4668, or
Email : email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
American Express, Mastercard, Visa and Discover accepted
M. Ford Creech Antiques & Fine Arts / 581
South Perkins Road / Memphis,
TN 38117 / USA /
Wed.-Sat. 11-6, or by appointment