well figured rosewood, the low rectangular case with a single long
deep drawer above a gadrooned base and four compressed bun feet, surmounted by a
center divider and end supports of upright turned balusters beneath
flattened upper rails,
the two end supports with S-form ends and H-form
turned carrying handles; stamped on drawer side rail :
"WILLIAMS & GIBTON" "25235"
Condition : Excellent; very minor veneer shrinkage to the case sides;
original finish, handles & feet
WILLIAMS & GIBTON, Ireland, 1829-1842
firm of Williams and Gibton was founded in 1829 and listed as “Cabinetmakers, upholders, Auctioneers, Valuators and House agents”.
They evolved from the well known firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton* (1811-29)
who were at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed
'Upholster's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the
Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works' in 1806. They
supplied for some of the most important public buildings in Ireland,
including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office,
Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal
Lodge. Simultaneously they were commissioned to produce furniture
for many of the Irish country houses, such as Ballynegall, Co.
Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.
* The firm
dates to 1784 when John Mack set up his business in Dublin, joined
by Robert Gibton (d. 1812), who was succeeded by his son. Zachariah
Williams, a former apprentice, married Robert Gibton's daughter and
joined at the same time, forming Mack, Williams and Gibton. Williams
and Gibton continued to work together until Gibton's death in 1842.
Knight of Glin, Dublin Directories and Trade Labels, Furniture
History, 1985 and A. Alexander, The Dublin Cabinet-Makers in
the early Nineteenth Century: Furnishing with Style, Irish
Furniture, The Furniture History Society.
For more information, see (from
the Irish Arts Review pp. 142-148) :
10.5" High x
16" Long x 12" Deep